Get Drunken Updates in Your Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Monday, April 24, 2006

A List Before Dying

No, I'm not feeling suicidal and I don't know of any health issues. There is no particular reason for this list appearing now, other than it popped in my head. Although the air conditioning was out in the control room at the radio station today and I think I had a near death experience or two this afternoon. Honestly ninety degrees outside, six computers, five monitors, and a radar not to mention a hundred thousand worth of broadcasting equipment all running at once, is just too much for a fat man to take without A/C.

Everybody has things they want to do in their life. My list is pretty long, yours probably is too. Since we are unlikely to win Powerball, or get that seven-figure advance for writing the great American novel...alright some of us are likely to get that. Anyway the point is we have to prioritize. Figure out which ones to do when the opportunity (and fundage) presents itself. What are the five events or locations you can't allow yourself to miss out on before "the roll is called up yonder." I've got mine. Some will be very popular, some personal but that's what makes it my list.

1. Go to the Super Bowl - It's the Mecca of American Sports. If you spend even one Sunday afternoon a year cheering on your favorite pigskinners, you'll agree with this one. Even if the game is a blowout, the spectacle itself is incomparable. A week full of events, celebrities, and quite a lot of beer makes for something no sports fan should live without.

2. Go to Wrestlemania - O.K. other than Brother Nick, Sean Fox and a handful of others most of you are gonna think this is a wasted spot, but bear with me. My Grandfather is largely responsible for my love of Professional Wrestling. He took me to more than one WCW event at the local Civic Center when I was a kid. He loved the combination of sporting event and vaudeville act that old-school 'rasslin' was. Not sure what he thinks about Vince McMahon's antics these days, but I'm sure he would still love to attend the "Granddaddy of them All." Maybe I'll be able to make that happen one day soon.

3. Play Video Games at E3 - If you didn't think I was a geek before, this one is probably going to do it. For those that don't know, E3 is short for the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3 is a lot snappier, don't you think). This yearly event is really only for press and industry people but with the right strings pulled and the above-mentioned money flowing, I hope to attend in the near future. This is a showcase for all sorts of stuff, but the big draw is Video Games. Particularly from the big three: Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. New games and peripherals are not only shown but attendees get to play them. For a video game lover, this is a little slice of heaven. Every four or five years the event is extra special, because it brings the introduction of a new video game console. This is such a year, with Sony showing off the Playstation 3 and Nintendo finally pulling the curtain back on the Revolution. That means I've got four more years to save my pennies.

4. Attend NBA All-Star Weekend - The only All-Star game in sports worth attending. I love Pro Hoops and for me this is the height of it. Sure no one plays defense and the musical acts are ludicrously bad, but the game is almost always exciting. The surrounding events put this one over the top. The skills contest, three point shootout, and dunk contest are all worth the cost of admission themselves, but what I am really looking forward to is running into Charles Barkley or Michael Jordan in the hotel, just so I can stand in awe and drool in their direction for a few moments. Incidentally this is the one that is most likely to happen for me anytime soon.

If you've gotten this far, maybe you're thinking to yourself, "This guy is a xenophobe." Yes I know what xenophobe means. Do you? "He makes a list of five things to do before he dies and he never even gets out of the United States? What a loser." Well I never said I wasn't a loser. But then who's worse, the loser or the guy who reads the loser's blog? Touché! But fret not, I do have an overseas wish or two, and one made the list.

5. Have a beer in Dublin - Don't get me wrong, visiting the ruins of Rome and Athens are also things I'd love to do. I want to some day wander across the Outback, or attend the Sidney Opera. Ella and I hope to visit Stonehenge and Tiananmen Square among others. But if I'm cutting the list to five, this is it. Truth be told I'd take this one over the other four on the list. In case you don’t know me, I’m Irish. I’m proud of it. Also I like beer. A lot. And I hear it’s good there. So there’s my five.

This is the response part. You guys comment on your top five. What do you have to make time for, between here and the grave? Until next time, I remain...

The Original Drunken Rogue.

No comments: