Get Drunken Updates in Your Email!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Cleavage, Drunken Escapades, and Bigfoot: What Constitutes a Blog?

Blogging is the new journal. It is also the new editorial and the new newsletter. Some people write informative blogs, detailing the latest gadgets, videogames, TV shows etc. Others write satire or humor, enabling their readers to take a break from the doldrums of everyday life, and laugh a bit. I'd like you to take a moment and figure out which one of those Tila Tequila falls under.

Who's Tila Tequila? I'd like to know that too. She seems to be some sort of model/stripper that is VERY popular on MySpace. She is currently persuing a singing career, and details her exploits (and showcases new, scantily clad pictures) on her blog. Now, I don't have anything against Tila. I'm sure she's a fun, interesting person. But she is most definately not a writer. She's barely a speller. I would ask what makes people read her posts, but I think we all know that there are exactly TWO reasons why she's at the top of the charts.

Tila (and her non-existant warddrobe) makes sense. What doesn't make sense are pages like the "Gay Bigfoot." As I detailed in a bulletin earlier today, "Gay Bigfoot" passed me overnight in the "Best Blog/Writer" Competition (I'm proud to say that my readers have put me back in front now). I checked out the "Gay Bigfoot" page, and...well...it's original, I'll give it that. The page consists of some (admittedly clever) photoshopped imagaes of Harry (from "Harry and the Hendersons") wearing pink, and (I assume) fake advice column letters written to "Gay Bigfoot." You see, the joke is that it would be funny if people wrote to Gay Bigfoot asking advice on relationships and such. Oh, it's hilarious. (The preceding sentence was full of sarcasm).

Maybe I'm being pretentious, maybe I'm being prideful. But I think I write some pretty funny stuff (and occasionally poignant stuff as well). I'm proud of my posts (that's why I send out a bulletin to announce them). It makes me feel good when I know that dozens of people have read what I wrote by the end of the day. I'm sure that others (Tila and Gay Bigfoot included) want the very same thing. It just blows my mind, that my work and theirs is grouped together under the banner of "blogging."

I know a lot of my readers are also writers. If you are looking for good, funny (or informative) stuff to read, you could do a lot worse than picking some of my friends pages. I'd particularly suggest the following:

Rico Tubbs, Geronimo, Mr. Harrison, Nicholas, Charlie, Melissa and Boyd & Tara.

There are also a couple of famous people with blogs I like to read:
Pam/Jenna -- from "The Office" and Kevin Smith -- Writer/Director

Some of these writers are irrevant (Rico, Geronimo, Mr. Harrison, Kevin Smith) some are uplifting (Boyd & Tara), some are smarter than me (Nicholas), some are adorable (Pam/Jenna, Melissa) and some are just strange enough to be humorous (Charlie). But they are all absolutely hilarious. I can strongly recommend each and every one of them. Read, comment, tell them who referred you.

I don't mean to run other bloggers down. To each his own, is a motto that I try to live by. However, I do think that the quality of my daily output (and that of most of my friends) is significantly above average. I figure good writing will eventually win out. Let's keep our fingers crossed. If you like what you read here (or elsewhere for that matter) don't hesitate to subscribe. It makes it easier on you to keep up with the latest from your favorite writers, and it enables the writer to know who's reading, even if you don't feel like commenting. To subscribe to my blog, just fill in your email in the box at the top of the page (No spam, I promise). To vote for me in the "Best Blog/Writer" Competition, click the link below.

MyRockin Profile Awards

No comments: