Some would argue that I spend most of my time in these blogs making myself look girly, but I disagree. I think, generally, I'm a bit nerdy but plenty masculine. I like football, hamburgers, video games, arguing, and pretty girls (see Mrs. Rogue's profile pic if you doubt that last one). But today ladies and gentlemen, I'm letting the cat out of the bag (so to speak). I've got a huge man-crush and I don't care who knows about it.
As detailed in "The Life and Times of the Drunken Rogue" series, I've had a lot of good friends over the years. From Ellie that lived next door, to Darren in junior high and high school, Amanda in college, to Bro. Nick and Andrei at "Blue Jacket." I've been surrounded by a long list of positive, fun people in my life. Right at the top of that list has got to be, Richard. Richard and I met during my first senior year (I enjoyed two), and quickly built a friendship over our love of fast food (he's a Taco Bell fan), mindless video games (countless hours of "Super Monkey Ball"), and fantastic films (I still don't understand Kubrick, Richard).
In a lot of ways we are polar opposites (I'm pretty conservative, he's a commie pinko; I don't eat wet foods, he doesn't eat anything that's crispy), but deep down we have similar souls. We both come from similar places (it's amazing how much rural Mississippi and rural Louisiana are alike) and have similar families (I've got a teacher for a mother and a music minister for a father, his parents were both in education and are both musical). Of all of the friends I've made over the years, Richard is the one I can most see myself living near in 20 years. We've got backyard barbecues and peewee football games in our future (alright, maybe not peewee football, but some organized activity for our theoretical children).
It didn't hurt our chances at future friendship when I met (and luckily married) a woman that adores Richard almost as much as I do. In fact, Ella and Richard actually knew each other before he and I did (and don't think she's ever going to let me forget it). It's not imperative that your friends be friends with your wife, but it sure makes things easier.
To add to this pile of wonderfulness, Richard also managed to wrangle a wonderful woman. Allie and I have been friends since my second year in college. She's outgoing, friendly, funny, and just a couple of ticks on this side of crazy. Pretty much like me and Ella. Allie and I get along well, Ella and Allie get along well, and besides their names are so much fun to say together. What more could you ask for?
So why am I not yucking it up currently with the Richard/Allie combo? Well, my man-crush decided it would be a good idea to join the Army. At the time it probably was a great idea. He wanted (and perhaps needed) the structure when he went in, he and Allie are going to be in a great position financially when he gets out, and they've spent the last year in Germany. He's gotten to experience some amazing things during the past year (hello, Robert Plant in Berlin!), and they will have some great memories to look back on for the rest of their lives. That's all well and good, but I haven't had my buddy to hang out with in a long time. All that is about to change.
They (the Richard/Allie Combo) are making a state-side excursion for the Christmas Holiday and they are coming to Ruston! So, any of you reading this that are Richard and Allie fans, send me a message for the details of their visit and when you can get your "Welcome Home, Dickie!" t-shirts (in sizes S-XXL). I am literally so excited about this visit that I'm giddy. Especially now that Mrs. Rogue and I are preparing for our inevitable move out of Ruston, a visit from two of our best friends from our time here seems a fitting way to celebrate. There will be big times in the old town again.
My boyfriend's back (or...well... on his way at least), and I can't wait to have a beer with him.
Friday, December 01, 2006
My Boyfriend's Back: A Man, A Soldier and a Love that Wouldn't Die
Posted by
Daddy Rogue
at
2:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment