Do I actually have to be successful (or die a horribly tragic death) before Hollywood can make a movie about me? I'm just wondering if we can't skip all the struggles with adversity and literary genius born of trials and go straight to cashin' that fat check and watching some up and coming actor make his reputation playing the Drunken Rogue.
Mrs. Rogue and I had our first "date night" in sometime last evening. We went to see the Julian Jarrold film "Becoming Jane". It is a "Shakespeare in Love" take on the life of Mrs. Rogue's favorite author, Jane Austen. Anne Hathaway plays the authoress and James McAvoy plays Tom Lefroy, her love interest and muse.
Like "Shakespeare" the film plays fast and loose with the historical facts of Austen's life, and borrows liberally from her writings. In fact, Lefroy did exist and did meet Jane one winter while visiting country relatives. There is some historical proof that supports the idea that they even had a fling of sorts (as far as flings could go in stodgy 18th century England), but the idea that Mr. Darcy (and several other Austen hero's) are based on Lefroy is quite a literary leap.
Those of you that are interested in a film review, I'll give you the short version: It's quite good as far as romantic comedies go, especially if you like the lead actors. Dame Maggie Smith and Julie Walters (both from the "Harry Potter" series) have great supporting roles and the cinematography is at times breathtaking. For history buffs some of the inaccuracies and extrapolations will be annoying but overall there are significantly worse ways to spend 17 bucks with your better half.
What has "Becoming Jane" got to do with me? Now we get to the real point. Lately it occurs to me that I'm talking about being a writer nearly as much as I am writing. It's like I've become Kevin Smith, but without all the fame, money, and Q and A sessions (but with the absurdly hot wife). So in the spirit of this celebration without accomplishment I thought we could skip right to the good stuff and start production on the Drunken Rogue movie. Let's tell the tale that America, nay, the World is dying to see. Let's tell the story of the Drunken Rogue!
It doesn't really matter that I haven't done anything yet. We'll take some basic historical facts (he's sort of short and chubby, lives in New Orleans and married a woman far too good looking for him) and fill in the blank spots with interesting story twists and witty dialog. We'll get a team of hot-shot writers working on it (I'm thinking Joss Whedon and Aaron Sorkin, is that too much to ask) and start shopping it to directors.
Sure, the film version has me being born in New Orleans and meeting Mrs. Rogue while writing for a local theatre company (she's a struggling but vastly gifted actress in the film version) trying to rebuild after Hurrican Katrina, but the bright side is that after the thing's done I can lift the best parts of the dialog to use in my as-yet-unwritten novels. Sure, it'll be weird now, but in a hundred years it'll be brilliant!
The question of course is who could play me? Jack Black is a little too old (and besides does he have to play EVERY funny fat guy in a romantic comedy?), and James McAvoy is Scottish (although very gifted). Somewhere out there is the perfect Drunken Rogue just waiting to be discovered. I'll leave it up to Whedon and Sorkin to find him. Until then, I'll be in my trailer.
Sunday, August 26, 2007
Is It Too Early for My Bio-pic?
Posted by
Daddy Rogue
at
11:20 PM
Read more about: becoming jane, bio-pics, fame, writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You can be played by Harry Melling (Dudley from Harry Potter).
Why don't you write a 5 or 6 page short and you can direct and I will shoot and cut.
Well played once again, Rogue. I didn't know you were a Sorkin fan! (or that you could put up with ANYTHING having to do with Jane Austen but thats a topic for another time) I too am a Sorkin nut. West Wing, Sports Night? Whats your poison?
Trey: Harry Melling (while at first a little surprising) is actually a pretty freakin' good choice. He looks a respectable amount like me, and while not nearly my equal as an actor, did quite well in the latest Potter film. I'll get back to you about the short film (I actually already have one written).
Sorkin, ah Sorkin. How do I love him, let me count the ways. "The American President" and "A Few Good Men" (not necessarily in that order) are two of favorite films period. "West Wing" is literally one of the best and most consistent shows in the history of television (even the years after Sorkin, that's how well he wrote those characters), "Sports Night" was a fantastic sitcom about six years ahead of its time (you're telling me it wouldn't make it in the land of "Scrubs" "The Office" and "Arrested Development"?) and "Studio 60" while incredibly flawed and self centered is still better than 85% of the crap on TV. Sorkin's next project could be an eighteen hour miniseries on the creation of the yellow pages and I'd be there the first night with bells on. **In case I was too subtle about it, I am a huge Aaron Sorkin fan**
Post a Comment