My interest in Theatre began at the age of twelve. For five years I was constantly involved in one production after another. During my senior year of high school and the start of my freshman year of college I took a break. It lasted about a year and a half. From the Spring of 2000 to the Winter of 2004 again I was continually on stage. Then I took another break. Again my vacation lasted about eighteen months. In the fall of 2005 I performed in a play entitled "Atomic Field." It's been a year and a half since then and I've got the itch.
One of my favorite professors during my college career was Mark Guinn, a man who's friends call him "Rat". Rat is not a man that you say no to. On the contrary, he's a man that as often as possible you follow. If he says "Jump", you have a strong inclination to ask "How high?" He's a professor, director, actor, fighter and about as close to a "wise man" as I've ever come in contact with. When Rat asks for help, you give it.
These two things (my "itch" to act again, and my desire to please Mark Guinn) combined to send me back to the stage. This April and May, you'll see the Drunken Rogue in all his bumbling glory as Sgt. Gonzales in Stone Theatre's Production of "Zorro" by David Richmond and Drew Fracher. It's got romance, humor, suspense, sword fights, bull whips, music and dancing...and that's just the first act.
It's going to be a lot of fun working with some old friends, making new ones, and mostly getting that warm reception from an audience again (we all know I'm a bit of a glory hound). It will also give me an interesting opportunity to describe the rehearsal process for people who might not have been exposed to theatre before.
***Author's Side Note***It ticks me off to no end that FireFox (and MS Word) both label "theatre", my preferred (and completely acceptable) spelling of the word as a typo. Somebody's getting a nasty letter about this.***End Author's Side Note***
Over the next couple of weeks, I'll try to break down some of the steps we take and explain what's going on in the production and what it's like for the actor. I'd tell you what it's like for the director, set designer and the costume crew, but the fact of the matter is I don't know. Also, it goes without saying that any one within driving distance is more than welcome to attend the show. We'll be running from the last week of April through the first week of May. I'll give you more updates when I have them.
It's been a while since I've taken the stage, and longer since I've fought on one. I might be a little rusty, but don't think for a minute that I don't still have what it takes. The Drunken Rogue is back in the spotlight, and loving every minute of it.
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Once More Unto the Breach Dear Friends, Once More
Posted by
Daddy Rogue
at
8:58 PM
Read more about: drunken rogue, itch, theatre, zorro
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment